Locomotives and Rolling Stock
Scroll down to learn the history of our historic locomotives and passenger cars! Our locomotive roster consists of five vintage diesel locomotives (three are operational) and one fully operational steam locomotive. Our passenger car roster is made up of equipment ranging from 1916 to the 1960s. We have traditional enclosed coaches and three open-air cars that are offered in the warmer months. Please note that we have the right to substitute locomotives and/or passenger cars without advance notice. Seating is also first-come, first-served on most trains. We do not offer group rates on regularly scheduled rides. Tour groups or other groups may rent the entire train for private excursions. Other arrangements can be made for renting a car for parties etc. Click here for details!
GP7 No. 5833 (Ex-C&O) Status: Operational
This 1,500-horsepower “Geep” was built in October 1952 by the Electro-motive division of General Motors. It, along with its GP7 and GP9 brothers helped replace the C&O’s steam locomotives. In the 1970s, it and a few other C&O geeps were transferred to the Chicago, South Shore and South Bend Railroad. It was during this part in its life that 5833 was renumbered 1508. It 1982, it returned to the C&O for disposition and was eventually purchased by the HVSR in 1986. Thanks to help from the C&O Railway Historical Society, 5833 looks much as it did when it was new in 1952. 5833 has a 16-cylinder EMD 567 prime mover and can go up to 65 mph, although we don’t go that fast on our line.
GP10 No. 701 (Ex-ICG No. 8307) Status: Operational
This 1,850-horsepower Geep was originally built in December 1957 for Illinois Central as GP9 No. 9307. It was rebuilt in January 1974 at Illinois Central Gulf’s Paducah, Kentucky, Shops and renumbered 8307. It was later sold to MidSouth Railroad as No. 1031 and later went to Southern Pacific Construction Services, where it gained its current number and paint. We acquired it from Ohio Central in September 2003 in exchange for Lake Superior and Ishpeming 2-8-0 No. 33. Like 5833, it has a 16-cylinder EMD 567 prime mover and can go up to 65 mph, although we don’t go that fast on our line.
0-6-0 No. 3 (Ex-Beech Bottom Power Company) Status: Operational
No. 3 was built in March 1920 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works for Beech Bottom Power Company as an extra to an order for another steam locomotive. No. 3 was constructed from spare parts, including a boiler intended for a Grand Trunk locomotive that was never built. No. 3 was initially used to shuttle coal from the mine to the power plant before being placed in ash dump service. No. 3 has 21,438 lbs. of tractive effort, 42-inch drivers, and an empty weight of 92,000 lbs. In 1968, it was retired and put on display in Cumberland, Ohio, before being donated to the HVSR in 1982. Restoration commenced in 2001 and completed in 2015. No. 3 pulls occasional Steam Specials along our historic line each year. Watch our website and social media for dates and times to ride behind this authentic coal-fired steam locomotive.
RS-4-TC No. 4005 (Ex-U.S. Army) Status: Operational
This little diesel switcher was built by Baldwin for the United States Department of Defense in 1954. It has a 500-horsepower Caterpillar engine and is ideal for light switching duties. We acquired it in 1996 and repainted it to its current blue paint in 1999. We normally use 4005 for switching, moving stuff around the shop, and maintenance-of-way duties.
45-tonner No. 7318 (Ex-U.S. Army) Status: Non-Operational
This 300-horsepower general electric centercab switcher was built in 1948 for the Department of Defense and assigned to the Army. Acquired in 1981, it was our first diesel locomotive. It was renumbered 7315 for years before having its original number restored in 2003. It is currently out of service awaiting repairs.
65DE19a No. 8122 (Ex-U.S. Army No. 8465) Status: Display
This rare Whitcomb centercab was built in 1944 to serve in Italy during the later part of WWII. It ended up never leaving the United States. We acquired it in 2001 from Cargill and restored it to service in 2005. It was not operated in over a decade and is now on static display in front of our Depot. Check it out the next time you visit us.
B&O Combination Car No. 1497
Our oldest active car is a Baltimore and Ohio combination car, or combine, built in 1916 for B&O predecessor Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Western. With a small passenger capacity, it was intended for branchline trains where an extra coach and baggage car were not necessary. This car could carry both baggage and passengers, therefore combining two cars into one. Our combine has been with us since the 1970s and is a regular on our consist.
B&O Day Coach No. 3501
This coach was built in 1939 and was intended for long-distance passenger trains on the America’s first common carrier railroad. It was once used on the Cincinnatian between Cincinnati and Detroit. In 2006, we restored it and installed air-conditioning. The air-conditioning and plush seats in the 3501 make it popular among passengers.
Open-Air Passenger Cars (3x)
During the warmer months, our three open-air cars can often be found on our train. All three are former flat cars that were converted to open-air passenger cars in 2001, 2017 and 2018. Two are former United States Department of Defense while one is former C&O. One contains fold-down steps while another contains a wheelchair lift. These cars are incredibly popular and tend to fill up fast.
Rock Island Commuter Cars (3x)
Our three open-window commuter cars were built in the 1920s for the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific. They could seat 100 passengers each and were mainly used on commuter runs in the Chicago area. Since they are commuter cars, they were not equipped with luggage racks or restrooms. We acquired all three in the early 1980s and have been using them ever since. At least one of them is normally on our regular trains.
Canadian Pacific Coaches (4x)
Our four Canadian Pacific coaches were built around 1950 by Canadian Car and Foundry. In later years, they were part of excursions in Wisconsin for the Locomotive and Tower Preservation Fund and lettered “Chippewa Valley.” They came to us from the Dennison Railroad Depot Museum in 2015. One was fully restored to its Canadian Pacific colors in late 2017 and fitted with air-conditioning. Another was placed into service in 2021 as an extra car for colder-weather trains. The last two are currently in our shop being converted to elegant table cars for our dinner trains. Eventually, the other three will be restored to their CP colors.
Diner No. 8528 (Ex-Southern Pacific No. 10213)
Our dining car was built by Budd in 1950 for the Southern Pacific as No. 10213 and originally used on the Sunset Limited. It is a Class 83-D-3 with 48 seats and 12 tables of four. It was retired in November 1971 and sold to Amtrak, where it was numbered 8063. It was later renumbered to its current number, 8528. The car last operated in regular Amtrak service on Oct. 24, 2015, on the Lake Shore Limited. We purchased it in 2019, and it has opened up many doors for us. Please watch our website and social media pages for dinner train dates and times.